On December 10, the Iowa City Community School District released its Comprehensive Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Action Plan, 2019-2022. The Plan, which seeks to address the inequities that arise in many different facets of the K-12 system, was co-constructed through an inclusive engagement process that began with the drafting of a Comprehensive Equity Plan in 2014-15. In 2018-19, the ICCSD engaged in a strategic planning process to update the Comprehensive Equity Plan. This process included a review of existing District goals and data, listening sessions with key stakeholders within the District, open public forums, and an online survey for teachers, parents, students, and community members to provide input regarding what they think are the most important equity concerns the District should be working to address as well as provide suggestions for how the District could go about addressing these concerns.
The Plan has six key goals
- To reduce the opportunity gap for structurally disadvantaged students
- To reduce disproportionality in discipline
- To create equitable, inclusive, and supportive school environments
- To attain diverse and culturally-proficient teachers, administrators, and staff
- To increase stakeholder engagement
- To create culturally responsive and equity-informed District policies and practices